Friday, October 9, 2009

On the Road-Oklahoma



Sooners

Since I was in OK I thought I should find out what their motto "sooners" means. The information presented below, I got from a waitress. She told me that when the federal government offered free land for people to develop, the government selected a date for people to be allowed to register some land. These people were called "land boomers." But some people snuck in ahead of time and grabbed huge tracts of land. They became known as the Sooners because they came sooner than the boomers.

NationalCowboy abd Wester Heritage Museum

This is to a large extent an art museum. There are lots of good oils depicting Western Life. The museum today collects a broad array of material that reflects the variety of peoples, cultures, and historical currents found in the West. We were permitted to take photograhs in the old Western town replica so I include one seidled up to the bar and one for my incarceration.

No comments:

Post a Comment